Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pimp My Dinner

My friends started this blog of their favorite dinners. www.pimpmydinner.blogspot.com It is a fun site to look at to try new recipes. If you are anything like me, I get sick of the same old meals every week so I love to try smoething new. Here is my personal favorite I'd like to share with you. It is yummy to put the chicken on top of a salad or eat it in a burrito. When I do burritos, I melt cheese on tortillas(the cook them yourself tortillas) and add chicken, lettuce, rice and pour dressing over the top. Try it out!
NOTE: This is NOT the actual recipe from Cafe Rio. If you havent ever been there, it is a MUST!!!
Yummy Cafe Rio Chicken Salad or Burritos
In crock pot:
chicken (i have used anywhere from 2-4 pounds and the only noticeable difference with less meat is it's a TEENSY weensy bit spicier)
7 oz. can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (pour onto chicken)
Sprinkle the following on:
1 cup sugar
1 heaping tsp dry ground mustard
1 heaping tsp cumin
1 heaping tsp minced garlic
pour over all 1 1/2 cans coke (I buy the 2 liter and just pour 18 oz or so)

How long you cook it depends on your crock, tenders or breasts and if they are frozen. I've done frozen breasts on high and they were done in like 4 hours, but my crock pot is crazy.

Once chicken is done, take ALL chipotles out. Shred meat and put it back in sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.

Dressing:
I put the following in the blender:
1 ranch dressing envelope
1 cup mayo
1 cup milk
1/2 bunch cilantro (cut most of stems off)
3/4 fairly good size jalepeno (seeds removed, that is the spiciest part)
2-3 tomatillos
dash of salt
blend away!

Rice:
White rice cooked, then I add chopped cilantro ( use the other 1/2 of the bunch)
squeeze some limes on it and toss.
For those that care... the chipotles in adobo sauce are cheapest at Walmart (i think by like almost 50 cents a can) and even if you use five pounds of meat, i'd still just use one can.

0 comments: